5 of 8 portraits of Thomas Gainsborough
by Henry Meyer, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after John Jackson, after Thomas Gainsborough
stipple engraving, published 27 November 1810
14 5/8 in. x 11 1/2 in. (373 mm x 292 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 235 portraits.
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
- John Jackson (1778-1831), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 231 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 279 portraits.
Events of 1810back to top
Current affairsSerious 'Burdett and Liberty' riots break out in London in support of radical MP Sir Francis Burdett who had been arrested for denouncing the House of Common's decision to bar journalists from some debates.
Princess Amelia dies triggering renewed bout of illness in her father, George III.
Art and scienceSir Walter Scott publishes his chivalrous, medieval ballad, The Lady of the Lake, set on Loch Katrine in Perthshire.
Kennett and Avon Trunk Canal is completed.
First Savings Bank is set up by financier Henry Duncan.
InternationalMadame De Stael writes De l'Allemagne which portrays Germany as a model of Romantic nationalism for emerging revolutionary nations. It was banned by Napoleon but published in London to great acclaim.
Lisbon besieged. Wellington takes shelter behind the fortified lines of the Torres Vedras and the French army are forced to retreat.
- Lunchtime Lecture: Thomas Gainsborough: Chameleon of Art
5 October, 13:15
- In Conversation: Catherine Opie with Dr Nicholas Cullinan
2 October, 14:00