1 portrait of Lucian Freud
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on white card mount, April 1956
9 1/4 in. x 9 1/2 in. (235 mm x 240 mm)
Given by Cecil Beaton, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1087 portraits, Sitter associated with 353 portraits.
Events of 1956back to top
Current affairsThe first supermarket opens in Britain. Inspired by the new innovation in America, Jack Cohen opened his first Tesco supermarket in Essex. The First Clean Air Act is passed in response to the 'Pea Soup' smog over London.
Art and sciencePop Art is seen for the first time in the This is Tomorrow exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery. The exhibition included Richard Hamilton's iconic collage: What is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing?John Osborne's play Look Back in Anger opens at the Royal Court Theatre, introducing the phrase 'Angry young man' to describe the new movement of gritty, post-war realism in literature.
InternationalThe Suiz Crisis rocked Eden's premiership and marked the decline of British world power and influence in favour of America. In 1956 President Nasser of Egypt nationalised the Suez canal. Although Britain and France, who had owned the canal since the 19th century, invaded Egypt, they were soon persuaded to withdraw by US President Eisenhower who disapproved of the occupation.
Exhibitions and displays
- Lucian Freud Unseen
Until 6 September
Related shop items
- Lucian Freud's Sketchbooks
- Lucian Freud Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Lucian Freud Portraits catalogue (hardcover)
- Lucian Freud: Painting People (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards