15 of 15 portraits of Richard Cosway
by William Daniell, after George Dance
soft-ground etching, published 1 June 1811 (6 April 1793)
10 3/4 in. x 8 in. (272 mm x 203 mm) plate size; 11 1/2 in. x 8 3/4 in. (291 mm x 222 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Richard Cosway (1742-1821), Miniature painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 96 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (9 Cleveland Street, Fitzroy Square, London)
Events of 1811back to top
Current affairsGeorge III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and scienceJohn Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility.Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
InternationalBattle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult. Java captured.
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection