© National Portrait Gallery, London
by William Hogarth Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, 1749 (1745)
14 1/2 in. x 10 3/8 in. (368 mm x 262 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
- William Hogarth (1697-1764), Painter and engraver. Sitter associated with 19 portraits, Artist associated with 126 portraits.
- William Hogarth (1697-1764), Painter and engraver. Artist associated with 126 portraits, Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- NPG D19973: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
- NPG D35901: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
- NPG D3257: William Hogarth (based on same portrait)
Royal Fireworks in Green Park to celebrate the Peace of Aix-La-Chapelle. 10,000 rockets are let off at a cost of £8,000. Composer George Frideric Handel's accompanying Music for the Royal Fireworks
is performed for the first time.George II is introduced to William Ansah Sessarakoo the 'Prince of Annamaboe'. The son of a wealthy chief from the West African Gold Coast, he had been taken prisoner and made a slave in the West Indies.
Art and science
Horace Walpole buys the house and grounds which he will transform into his neo-Gothic fantasy, Strawberry Hill, in Twickenham, London.Henry Fielding publishes his comic novel Tom Jones
. John Cleland's erotic novel Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure)
is published. The author is released from debtor's prison but arrested again later in the year and charged with corrupting the King's subjects.
George II grants a charter to Ohio Company to settle Ohio valley in the American colonies. British settlement of Halifax, Nova Scotia is founded.Sugar planters found Port-au-Prince, Haiti.