3 of 3 portraits of James Adair
by Charles Howard Hodges, published by John Boydell, and published by Josiah Boydell, after George Romney
mezzotint, published 1 February 1789
19 5/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (498 mm x 354 mm) plate size; 20 in. x 14 3/8 in. (507 mm x 365 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- James Adair (died 1798), Recorder of London, Chief Justice of Chester, politician and King's Sergeant. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Charles Howard Hodges (1764-1837), Portrait painter and mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 42 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.