1 portrait of Sylvia Pankhurst
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 25 February 1927
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sylvia Pankhurst (1882-1960), Militant suffragette; daughter of Emmeline Pankhurst. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen