16 of 30 portraits of Anthony Asquith
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 17 September 1927
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anthony Asquith (1902-1968), Film director; youngest son of Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1927back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland is renamed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, acknowledging the full independence of the Irish Free State, led at the time by W.T. Cosgrave, the the first President of the Executive Council of the Irish Free State.
Art and scienceThe BBC gains its Royal Charter making it a public corporation and a public service broadcaster accountable to its audience. John Reith became the first Director General with the directive to 'inform, educate and entertain.'
InternationalStalin expels Leon Trotsky from the Soviet Communist Party, giving himself greater control of the party and country by ousting opposition elements.
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen