© National Portrait Gallery, London
Karl Friedrich Abel
by William Nelson Gardiner, published by Edward Harding, after John Nixon Click on the links below to find out more
etching, published July 1787 (1787)
7 5/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (194 mm x 135 mm) plate size; 8 1/2 in. x 6 in. (217 mm x 151 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
- William Nelson Gardiner (1766-1814), Engraver and bookseller. Artist associated with 51 portraits.
- Edward Harding (1755-1840), Engraver, publisher and librarian to Queen Charlotte. Artist associated with 184 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Nixon (1760-1818). Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- NPG 5178: Karl Friedrich Abel (after)
- NPG D966: Karl Friedrich Abel (from same plate)
Social reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and science
Painter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon. The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
Captain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty
.First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni
at the National Theatre, Prague.A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.Bahamas become a British colony.