9 of 14 portraits of Edward Gibbon
by John Hall, published by William Strahan, and published by Thomas Cadell the Elder, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
line engraving, published 1 February 1780 (1779)
10 5/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (269 mm x 217 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edward Gibbon (1737-1794), Historian; author of 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Thomas Cadell the Elder (1742-1802), Publisher and bookseller. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Hall (1739-1797), Engraver. Artist associated with 36 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- William Strahan (1715-1785), Printer and publisher. Artist associated with 3 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Exhibitions and displays
- Favourites: Art and Power, 1600-1800
Until 1 September 2015