by Charles Picart, published by Lackington, Allen & Co, and published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown, after William Haines, after Gerlach Flicke
stipple engraving, published circa 1820
14 3/4 in. x 10 1/2 in. (375 mm x 266 mm) plate size; 16 5/8 in. x 12 in. (422 mm x 304 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Gerlach Flicke (active 1545-died 1558), Painter. Artist associated with 7 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- William Haines (1778-1848), Engraver and painter. Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Lackington, Allen & Co (active 1815-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 48 portraits.
- Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown (active 1815-1820), Publishers. Artist associated with 97 portraits.
- Charles Picart (circa 1780-circa 1837), Engraver, draughtsman and painter. Artist associated with 118 portraits.
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.