© National Portrait Gallery, London
William Harcourt, 3rd Earl Harcourt
by and published by Samuel William Reynolds, after Henry Edridge Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published June 1822 (1818)
14 5/8 in. x 10 5/8 in. (372 mm x 270 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
- Henry Edridge (1769-1821), Portrait painter and landscape draughtsman. Artist associated with 115 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 628 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- NPG D2568: William Harcourt, 3rd Earl Harcourt (from same plate)
- NPG D35324: William Harcourt, 3rd Earl Harcourt (from same plate)
- NPG D35325: William Harcourt, 3rd Earl Harcourt (from same plate)
- NPG D35326: William Harcourt, 3rd Earl Harcourt (from same plate)
Lord Castlereagh (the Marquis of Londonderry) commits suicide after a blackmail campaign against him.Tory cabinet joined by liberals George Canning and Robert Peel. Canning is appointed Foreign Secretary.
Art and science
John Nash completes the remodelling of the King's villa, the Brighton Pavilion and begins plans for the new layout of Regent Street and Regent's Park.The Caledonian Canal opens to link eastern to western Scotland.The Sunday Times
David Wilkie exhibits celebrated Chelsea Pensioners
at the Royal Academy to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It proves so popular a rail has to be erected to protect it.First major failure of the potato crop in Ireland. A large-scale public works programme is implemented to provide employment.