by Burnet Reading, published by John Sewell, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
line engraving, published 1797 (1756)
6 7/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (175 mm x 115 mm) plate size; 7 3/8 in. x 5 in. (187 mm x 126 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (1717-1797), Writer and collector. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Burnet Reading (1749 or 1750-1838), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- John Sewell (active 1774-1802), Bookseller. Artist associated with 40 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- Favourites: Art and Power, 1600-1800
Until 1 September 2015