5 of 17 portraits of Lord Snowdon
by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on white card mount, July 1965
10 3/4 in. x 8 1/8 in. (274 mm x 205 mm)
Given by Cecil Beaton, 1968
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Lord Snowdon (1930-2017), Photographer; former husband of Princess Margaret. Sitter in 17 portraits, Artist of 276 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1088 portraits, Sitter associated with 354 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Snowdon: A Life in View (26 September 2014 - 21 June 2015)
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
Exhibitions and displays
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Photographs by Snowdon: A Retrospective
- Private View
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Snowdon: Iconic Images
- My Favourite Portrait by Harriet Walter
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs