The Thomson family
3 of 25 portraits of Sir George Paget Thomson
The Thomson family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 15 November 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- David Paget Thomson (1931-), Businessman; son of Sir George Paget Thomson. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir George Paget Thomson (1892-1975), Physicist. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- John Adam Thomson (1927-), Diplomat. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Kathleen Buchanan Thomson (née Smith) (died 1941), Wife of Sir George Paget Thomson; daughter of Sir George Adam Smith. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Lilian Clare de Villiers Graaff (née Thomson), Daughter of Sir George Paget Thomson; wife of Jan de Villiers Graaff. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London.
A new synthetic fabric is invented and named after New York and London: Nylon.
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
- Lecture: The art of struggle: Sylvia Pankhurst and how art helped women get the vote
8 February 2018, 19:00