1 portrait of Audrey Hepburn
by Cecil Beaton
bromide fibre print, 1963
10 3/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (262 mm x 267 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1087 portraits, Sitter associated with 353 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence, Beaton Portraits, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 February to 31 May 2004), p. 149
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
Related shop items
- Film Stars Postcard Pack
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (paperback)
- Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed
- Irving Penn Portraits
- Audrey Hepburn Pocket Mirror
- Audrey Hepburn Watch
- Audrey Hepburn Cushion
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Audrey Hepburn Fridge Magnet
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Canvas Tote Bag
- Audrey Hepburn Quote Coaster
- Audrey Hepburn by Sir Cecil Beaton Postcards