© National Portrait Gallery, London
Maria (née Walpole), Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh
by James Macardell, after Sir Joshua Reynolds Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published 1 January 1762 (1760-1761)
15 1/2 in. x 10 3/4 in. (394 mm x 272 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
- James Macardell (1727 or 1728-1765), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 291 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- NPG D33044: Maria (née Walpole), Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (from same plate)
- NPG D33045: Maria (née Walpole), Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (from same plate)
- NPG D33326: Maria (née Walpole), Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (from same plate)
Birth of George, Prince of Wales (later George IV) on 12 August. Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle resigns as Prime Minister over foreign policy and is succeeded by the Tory John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute. Many of Newcastle's followers are dismissed over the following months in what becomes popularly known as the 'Massacre of the Pelhamite Innocents'.'Cock Lane ghost' appears in Smithfield, London.
Art and science
James MacPherson publishes Fingal, an Ancient Epic Poem
, said to be the work of the third century Scottish bard Ossian, initiating the greatest literary hoax of the century.Sign-Painters Exhibition is organised in London by Bonnell Thornton to ridicule recently established public art exhibitions. Artist William Hogarth publishes The Times Plate 1
; an anti-war satire.
Philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau publishes his major works The Social Contract and Emile; influential treatises on society and education. Peter III of Russia is reputedly assassinated as a result of a conspiracy led by his wife Catherine, who succeeds him to the throne as Catherine II (later the Great). Seven Years' War: The British commander John Manners Marquess of Granby distinguishes himself at the Battle of Manila.