11 of 354 portraits of Cecil Beaton
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, 1910s
7 5/8 in. x 7 5/8 in. (194 mm x 193 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 354 portraits, Artist associated with 1088 portraits.
Events of 1910back to top
Current affairsGeorge V succeeds Edward VII to the throne. The Liberals win narrow victories after calling two General Elections following escalating tension between the Liberal administration and the Lords reached crisis point with the Lords' unprecedented rejection of Lloyd George's 1909 budget. The budget included tax reform intended to fund social reform and a rearmament programme, but was seen by the Conservative Lords as an assault on property.
Art and scienceThe critic and Bloomsbury group member Roger Fry curates a ground-breaking and, at the time, shocking exhibition in London's Grafton Galleries, Manet and the Post-Impressionists. The exhibition introduces the work of contemporary European artists to the London art establishment, including Manet, Cezanne, Gaugin and Van Gogh, and Fry became a champion of modern art, coining the term 'Post-Impressionism'.
InternationalJapan annexes Korea as a colony, an indication of Japan's ambitious imperialist aims and attempts to control trade and influence in East Asia. Japanese occupation of Korea lasted until 1945, after Japan surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of the Second World War and Korea was divided in two by the United States and the Soviet Union.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned