by Unknown photographer
contact sheet of 36 frames, 1962
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 354 portraits, Artist associated with 1088 portraits.
Events of 1962back to top
Current affairsAfter a series of by-election defeats, the prime minister, Harold MacMillan organises a drastic cabinet reshuffle, dismissing one third of his cabinet. Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe's rye comment summed up the desperate action: 'greater love hath no man than this, than to lay down his friends for his life.'Britain suffers the 'Big Freeze' with no frost-free nights between 22nd December 1962 and 5th March 1963.
Art and scienceThe Beatles have their first hit with Love Me Do and release their first album Please Please Me.The new Coventry Cathedral is consecrated and creates a showcase for British artistic talent with the first performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, a wall hanging by Graham Sutherland, stained glass by John Piper, and sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Elizabeth Frink.
InternationalThe world comes to the brink of nuclear war with the Cuban Missile Crisis. In response to the USA's nuclear advantage, the USSR sent missiles to Cuba. The crisis lasted for 12 days before a deal was finally stuck between Khrushchev and Kennedy in which the Cuban missile bases were dismantled in return for the secret removal of US missiles from Turkey.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned