8 of 354 portraits of Cecil Beaton
by Unknown photographer
bromide postcard print, 1906
4 1/8 in. x 3 1/8 in. (106 mm x 78 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 354 portraits, Artist associated with 1088 portraits.
Events of 1906back to top
Current affairsThe Liberals, led by Henry Campbell-Bannerman under a promise of reform, win a landslide victory in the general election. Electors vote to end two decades dominated by Conservative rule, with disaffection mounting over the conflict in South Africa and party division over education and tariff reform. The LRC continue to grow as a political force, winning 29 seats and changing their name later this year to the Labour Party.
Art and scienceRalph Vaughan Williams edits The English Hymnal, a collection of the best in English-language hymns. Published by the Church of England, it became one of the most popular and influential hymn books in the world.Antoni Gaudí completes his rebuilding of the Casa Batllo in Barcelona. Known locally as the 'casa dels ossos', or 'House of Bones', the building is striking for its use of curved stonework, oval windows and intricate tracery.
InternationalSan Francisco is devastated by an earthquake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, leading to the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in Californian history. The impact itself and resulting fire lead to the death of over 3,000 people, and over half of the city's 400,000 population were left homeless. Although still a major city, the earthquake directs trade, industry and population south to Los Angeles.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Cecil Beaton Portraits
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Portrait of the Day: William John Christopher Vassall
6 April, 12:30