'The wedding night'
8 of 27 portraits of William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester
'The wedding night'
by Isaac Cruikshank, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 20 May 1797
12 1/2 in. x 18 1/8 in. (319 mm x 459 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal (1766-1828), Eldest daughter of George III; Queen of Württemberg. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Elizabeth (née Farren), Countess of Derby (1759?-1829), Actress and second wife of 12th Earl of Derby. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (1763-1827), Commander-in-Chief of the Army; son of George III. Sitter associated with 70 portraits.
- Friedrich I, King of Württemberg (1754-1816), Ruler of Württemberg; former husband of Duchess Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, and later husband of Charlotte Augusta, Princess Royal. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 182 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 182 portraits.
- William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester (1776-1834), Field Marshal. Sitter associated with 27 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 167 portraits.
- James Cecil, 1st Marquess of Salisbury (1748-1823), Lord Chamberlain. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-7. Sitter associated with 134 portraits.
- William V, Prince of Orange (1748-1806), Stadtholder of the Dutch Republic. Sitter associated with 18 portraits.