17 of 23 portraits of Samuel Rogers
by Henry Meyer, published by Thomas Cadell the Elder, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 16 August 1822 (1769-1830)
14 5/8 in. x 12 5/8 in. (372 mm x 322 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Samuel Rogers (1763-1855), Poet, banker and art connoisseur. Sitter in 23 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Thomas Cadell the Elder (1742-1802), Publisher and bookseller. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 278 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1822back to top
Current affairsLord Castlereagh (the Marquis of Londonderry) commits suicide after a blackmail campaign against him.Tory cabinet joined by liberals George Canning and Robert Peel. Canning is appointed Foreign Secretary.
Art and scienceJohn Nash completes the remodelling of the King's villa, the Brighton Pavilion and begins plans for the new layout of Regent Street and Regent's Park.The Caledonian Canal opens to link eastern to western Scotland.The Sunday Times is founded.
InternationalDavid Wilkie exhibits celebrated Chelsea Pensioners at the Royal Academy to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It proves so popular a rail has to be erected to protect it.First major failure of the potato crop in Ireland. A large-scale public works programme is implemented to provide employment.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history