Vogue's Millennium Party
1 of 6 portraits of Alex James
Vogue's Millennium Party
by Mario Testino
C-type colour print, 1999
16 in. x 20 1/8 in. (407 mm x 511 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Mario Testino (1954-), Photographer. Artist of 23 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Zoe Bedeaux, Fashion stylist, designer and singer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Helena Christensen (1968-), Fashion model. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Fatboy Slim (Norman Cook) (1963-), Musician and DJ; member of The Housemartins and Beats International. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Patrick Cox (1963-), Shoe designer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Tracey Emin (1963-), Artist. Sitter in 13 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- Steven Alexander ('Alex') James (1968-), Musician; bassist for Blur. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Stephen Jones (1957-), Milliner. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Nick Moran (1968-), Actor, writer, producer and director. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Norman Reedus (1969-), Actor. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Paul Brierley Smith (1946-), Fashion designer. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Dame Vivienne Isabel Westwood (1941-), Fashion designer. Sitter in 18 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Celebrities from the world's of fashion, pop and art photographed for British Vogue's Millennium Edition. One of a sequence of photographs commissioned to celebrate London's return to the feel-good status of the 1960s.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kinmonth, Patrick, Mario Testino: Portraits, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 1 February to 4 June 2002), p. 86/87
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1999back to top
Current affairsFollowing referendums in 1997, The Scottish Parliament is opened and Welsh Assembly established in 1999. The new Scottish Parliament has the powers to pass legislation and alter tax. The Welsh Assembly currently has less legislative authority but controls a budget for Wales and can amend legislation passed by Westminster.
The House of Lords Act removes all but 92 Hereditary Lords from the second chamber.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard and Marc Norman's film, Shakespeare in Love wins the Oscar for Best Picture. The film, starring Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Judi Dench, Geoffrey Rush, and Colin Firth, among other British screen stars, provides a fictitious account of the events that inspired William Shakespeare to write Romeo and Juliet.
InternationalNATO begins a bombing campaign against the government of Yugoslavia following the breakdown of the Rambouillet Accords that attempted to grant Kosovo autonomy within Serbia under NATO administration. After nearly three months of bombing, Slobodan Milosevic agreed to allow a peacekeeping force to enter Kosovo and the province was placed under a United Nations Interim Administration.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 16 March 2018