after Sir George Hayter
7 in. x 5 3/4 in. (178 mm x 146 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 519 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir George Hayter (1792-1871), Portrait and history painter; son of Charles Hayter. Artist associated with 198 portraits, Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry. Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.
InternationalAbolition of slavery in the British Empire; 780,000 slaves are freed, £20 million is allocated as compensation for slave owners and a six year apprenticeship system for freed slaves is established.
Related shop items
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug