by Dora Carrington
oil on panel, 1916
20 in. x 24 in. (508 mm x 609 mm)
Bequeathed by Frances Catherine Partridge (née Marshall), 2004
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 143 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Dora Carrington (1893-1932), Artist. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In the First World War, when this portrait was made, he was a conscientious objector. He wrote for various journals and magazines while his Eminent Victorians (1918), with essays on Cardinal Manning, Florence Nightingale and General Gordon, made his name and set standards for literary biography for the twentieth century.
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 101
- Cooper, John, A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery, 2009, p. 51
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 209
- Spalding, Frances, The Bloomsbury Group, 2013, p. 68
- Spalding, Frances, Insights: The Bloomsbury Group, 2005, p. 60
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, pp. 192 - 193
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1916back to top
Current affairsAs war drags on with heavy losses, the Prime Minister David Lloyd George introduces conscription with the Military Service Act. Conscientious objectors who refused to fight were compelled to do non-military war work, and some were jailed.British Summer Time is introduced, putting the clocks forward an hour during the summer in order to capitalise on daylight hours.
Art and scienceC. Hubert H. Parry sets William Blake's poem, Jerusalem, to music popularising the poem and tune as a patriotic English anthem. On hearing Edward Elgar's orchestrated version in 1922, King George V suggested that it replace God Save the King as the National Anthem.
InternationalThe Irish Citizen Army starts a Nationalist rebellion in Dublin: The Easter Rising.Massive losses are suffered on the Western Front at the battles of the Somme and Verdun.The Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire (1916-18) led by Prince Faisal is assisted by T.E. Lawrence, who became known as Lawrence of Arabia.
See this portrait
On display in Room 31 at the National Portrait Gallery