3 of 4 portraits of Edward Alleyn
by Thomas Nugent, published by Edward Evans, after Silvester Harding, after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published March 1792 (1626)
10 1/8 in. x 8 in. (257 mm x 202 mm) plate size; 12 3/4 in. x 9 7/8 in. (324 mm x 250 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edward Alleyn (1566-1626), Actor and founder of Dulwich College. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Evans (1789-1835), Printseller. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Silvester Harding (1745-1809), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 215 portraits.
- Thomas Nugent (active 1790-1793), Engraver. Artist associated with 9 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6432 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (1 Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London)
Events of 1792back to top
Current affairsThe famous seven year trial of Warren Hastings, Governor-General of Bengal, on charges of embezzlement and murder, ends with his acquittal. Pro-Revolutionary philosopher Joseph Priestley's house is destroyed by a mob on the anniversary of the fall of the Bastille. Their actions are later seen as a key moment in the defeat of Enlightenment ideals in England.
Art and scienceMary Wollstonecraft publishes A Vindication of the Rights of Woman; a radical work which called on women to be allies to one another; fearless in their support and free in their criticism.Sir Joshua Reynolds dies and is succeeded by Benjamin West as President of the Royal Academy.
InternationalThe mob invades the Tuileries and the French Royal Family is imprisoned marking the end of France's experiment with constitutional monarchy and the declaration of the first French Republic.The Revolutionary Commune is established in Paris.France declares war on Austria and then Prussia.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30