King Charles I and his supporters
1 portrait of Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland
King Charles I and his supporters
by Unknown artist
line engraving, early 18th century
11 1/2 in. x 7 3/4 in. (292 mm x 196 mm) plate size; 12 1/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (308 mm x 210 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort (1629-1700), Politician; MP for Wootton Basset and Monmouthsire. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel (1604-1649), Writer, royalist and politician; MP for Hertfordshire. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon (1610?-1643), Courtier and royalist. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 334 portraits.
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (1607-1651), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Liverpool. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland (1610-1643), Courtier. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- Sir Bevil Grenville (1596-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Cornwall and Launceston. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Hamilton (1606-1649), Royalist leader and politician. Sitter associated with 42 portraits.
- John Hewit (Hewett) (1614-1658), Royalist divine; chaplain to Charles I. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton of Stratton (1596-1652), Royalist general and politician; MP for Shaftesbury, Bath, Somerset and Wells. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Robert Pierrepont (Pierrepoint), 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1584-1643), Royalist Lieutenant-General and politician; MP for Nottinghamshire. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- William Laud (1573-1645), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
- Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Lindsey (1582-1642), Admiral. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Sir George Lisle (circa 1610-1648), Royalist leader and martyr. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Charles Lucas (1613-1648), Soldier and royalist commander. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose (1612-1650), Soldier. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (baptised 1593-1676), Writer, diplomat, courtier, royalist army officer and politician. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- Spencer Compton, 2nd Earl of Northampton (1601-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Ludlow. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- George Goring, Earl of Norwich (1583?-1663), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Lewes. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford (1593-1641), Statesman. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Lord Bernard Stuart (1622-1645), 'Earl of Lichfield' and royalist Army Officer. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
Events of 1700back to top
Current affairsThe sudden death of Prince William, son of Princess Anne and George, Prince of Denmark, triggers a succession crisis. His birth had secured the succession of the crown to a Protestant, safeguarding the throne from any future claim by James II's Catholic son, James Francis.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve's comedy The Way of the World premieres at Lincoln's Inn Theatre, receiving a mixed reception. It would achieve greater literary acclaim in modern times. Poet, John Dryden, dies and is buried in Geoffrey Chaucer's grave in Westminster Abbey.
InternationalDiplomat and poet, Matthew Prior, secretly negotiates with Louis XIV, king of France, a second partition treaty concerning the Spanish Empire. However, following the death of Spanish ruler, Carlos II, the agreement collapses since neither Spanish or Austrian governments accept the treaty's proposals.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster