© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
by John Faber Jr, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, 1735 (circa 1706-1711)
14 in. x 10 in. (355 mm x 255 mm) plate size; 16 1/2 in. x 10 3/4 in. (420 mm x 272 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Sitter associated with 30 portraits, Artist associated with 1678 portraits.
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1678 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- NPG 3214: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (after)
- NPG D3439: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (from same plate)
- NPG D19251: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (from same plate)
- NPG D33091: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (from same plate)
- NPG D30409: Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (from same plate)
Second Parliament under George III. Robert Walpole maintains a substantial majority. Lord Bolingbroke gives up active opposition to Walpole and retires to France. Walpole moves into 10 Downing Street.Welsh Methodist revival begins.
Art and science
Celebrated dandy Richard 'Beau' Nash appoints himself Master of Ceremonies at Tunbridge Wells.William Hogarth founds the second St Martin's Lane Academy of Painting. Lawyer and amateur meteorologist George Hadley publishes the first explanation of the trade winds
Swedish naturalist Carolus Linnaeus publishes a 'system of nature', capable of classifying all living things.Swedish chemist Georg Brandt discovers a new metallic element, which he names cobalt.A revivalist movement in America, led by Jonathan Edwards, becomes known as the Great Awakening.Composer Johann Sebastian Bach debuts his Ascension Oratorio