1 portrait of Horatio Nelson
by A. Geiger, after Lemuel Francis Abbott
mezzotint, (circa 1775-1800)
14 3/4 in. x 10 1/2 in. (376 mm x 268 mm) plate size; 15 3/4 in. x 12 in. (402 mm x 305 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1775back to top
Current affairsAct of Parliament extends inventor James Watt's patent (first granted in 1769) and the first steam engines are built under it.First known building society - Ketley's Building Society - is established in Birmingham by Richard Ketley, landlord of the Golden Cross Inn.
Art and scienceFirst performance of Richard Brinsley Sheridan's play The Rivals at the Covent Garden Theatre in London.Artist J.M.W. Turner is born. Satirist James Gillray's first engravings and etchings are published.Navigator Captain Cook publishes his discovery of a preventive cure against scurvy, in the form of a regular ration of lemon juice.
InternationalWar of American Independence begins with British defeat at Lexington and Concord and lasts until 1783. British achieve a narrow and costly victory over the Americans at the Battle of Bunker Hill. Edmund Burke delivers a speech to the British Parliament on conciliation with the American colonies. First performance of Pierre Beaumarchais' comic opera The Barber of Seville in Paris. Pope Pius VI succeeds Pope Clement XIV as the 251st pope.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Viscount Nelson
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Horatio Nelson
31 August, 12:30