13 of 49 portraits of Mick Jagger
by David Wedgbury
colour print, 1964
11 1/8 in. x 11 in. (282 mm x 279 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Michael Philip ('Mick') Jagger (1943-), Singer and composer; lead vocalist for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
David Wedgbury (1937-98) was the first staff photographer to be employed by Decca Records, who had signed the Rolling Stones in May 1963. Decca was a major UK pop record company of the 1960s, in competition with EMI, label to the Beatles. The Gallery holds over thirty of Wedgbury's portraits from this period, including his 1968 photograph of the Stones taken at the Elizabeth Rooms, London, when the band organised a press launch for the release of their album Beggars Banquet.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mick Jagger: Young in the 60s (3 May 2011 - 27 November 2011)
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Who (Pete Townshend; Keith Moon; Roger Daltrey; John Entwistle) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers (John Mayall; John McVie; Hughie Flint) and Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Animals (John Steel; Chas Chandler; Eric Victor Burdon; Dave Rowberry; Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- David Bowie by David Wedgbury mounted print
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Beatles to Bowie The 60s exposed