King Edward VI
13 of 45 portraits of King Edward VI
King Edward VI
by Simon de Passe
engraving, published 1620
6 1/4 in. x 4 3/4 in. (159 mm x 122 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Simon de Passe (1595-1647), Engraver. Artist associated with 202 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1620back to top
Current affairsThe beginning of a severe economic depression in England is widely blamed on the East India Company whose export of bullion on each voyage financed their trade. Additionally, despite efforts by Lionel Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex, to reduce the royal household's expenditure, James I's debt is historically high.
Art and scienceFrancis Bacon publishes his major philosophical work Novum Organum, which presents his account of the correct method of acquiring natural knowledge using inductive reasoning. Inventor and mechanical engineer, Cornelis Drebbel builds an early type of submarine which he demonstrates on the Thames.
InternationalThe Catholic League's invasion of Bohemia and victory at the battle of the White Mountain, forces Frederick V, king of Bohemia and his family into exile in the Hague, after less than a year reigning.The Pilgrim Fathers sail for America in the 'Mayflower', escaping religious persecution in England.
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Edward VI Cushion
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- King Edward VI by Workshop associated with 'Master John' Postcards