© National Portrait Gallery, London
Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington
by Jacobus Houbraken, published by John & Paul Knapton, after Sir Peter Lely Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, published 1739
14 3/4 in. x 9 1/4 in. (375 mm x 236 mm) plate size; 16 1/4 in. x 10 3/8 in. (412 mm x 264 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
- Jacobus Houbraken (1698-1780), Engraver. Artist associated with 433 portraits.
- John & Paul Knapton (active 1735-1789), Booksellers and publishers. Artist associated with 290 portraits.
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- NPG D7352: Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington (from same plate)
- NPG D7353: Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington (from same plate)
Foundling Hospital is established in London by sea-captain Thomas Coram, with William Hogarth as a founding governor.John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, begins his campaign of outdoor preaching, which he continues until his death in 1791.'Great Frost': an unusually harsh winter in southern England.
Art and science
Philosopher David Hume anonymously publishes his Treatise of Human Nature
, in which he applies the principles of experimental science to the human mind.
War of Jenkin's Ear: Convention of Pardo is held to settle differences with Spain, but Prime Minister Robert Walpole is forced to declare hostilities. At the Battle of Porto Bello, British forces under Admiral Edward Vernon capture the Panamanian town of Porto Bello from the Spanish.Persian ruler Nadir Shah enters Delhi and removes much of the accumulated treasure of the Mughal empire.