© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Charles Turner, published by Abraham Wivell, after Sir William Beechey Click on the links below to find out more
mezzotint, published 24 December 1814
14 in. x 10 in. (357 mm x 254 mm) plate size; 17 5/8 in. x 13 5/8 in. (447 mm x 345 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
- Joseph Nollekens (1737-1823), Sculptor. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Sir William Beechey (1753-1839), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 250 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 618 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Abraham Wivell (1786-1849), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 75 portraits.
- NPG D3727: Joseph Nollekens (from same plate)
Princess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and science
John Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times
.New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
Paris falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.