8 of 8 portraits of Thomas Gainsborough
by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by John Boydell, and published by Josiah Boydell, after Thomas Gainsborough
stipple engraving, published 1 January 1798 (1787-1788)
10 in. x 8 in. (254 mm x 202 mm) plate size; 13 1/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (334 mm x 263 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (90 Cheapside and Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall, London)
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.