3 of 9 portraits of Princess Amelia
by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by J.F. Tomkins, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 1 March 1792
10 in. x 7 1/2 in. (255 mm x 190 mm) plate size; 14 1/2 in. x 10 in. (370 mm x 253 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- J.F. Tomkins (active 1790-1799), Publisher. Artist associated with 7 portraits.
Events of 1792back to top
Current affairsThe famous seven year trial of Warren Hastings, Governor-General of Bengal, on charges of embezzlement and murder, ends with his acquittal. Pro-Revolutionary philosopher Joseph Priestley's house is destroyed by a mob on the anniversary of the fall of the Bastille. Their actions are later seen as a key moment in the defeat of Enlightenment ideals in England.
Art and scienceMary Wollstonecraft publishes A Vindication of the Rights of Woman; a radical work which called on women to be allies to one another; fearless in their support and free in their criticism.Sir Joshua Reynolds dies and is succeeded by Benjamin West as President of the Royal Academy.
InternationalThe mob invades the Tuileries and the French Royal Family is imprisoned marking the end of France's experiment with constitutional monarchy and the declaration of the first French Republic.The Revolutionary Commune is established in Paris.France declares war on Austria and then Prussia.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30