1 portrait of Horace Walpole
by Henry Meyer, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after William Evans, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 27 November 1811 (1795)
14 7/8 in. x 12 in. (379 mm x 305 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Horatio ('Horace') Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford (1717-1797), Writer and collector. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist associated with 234 portraits.
- William Evans (active 1797-1856), Draughtsman and engraver. Artist associated with 103 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Henry Meyer (1782?-1847), Portrait painter and engraver. Artist associated with 279 portraits.
Events of 1811back to top
Current affairsGeorge III's insanity is finally publicly admitted amidst arguments in Parliament over the credibility of his doctors. George, Prince of Wales is appointed Regent despite doubts over his capacity to rule effectively. This prompts the Prince's final split with the Catholic Mrs Fitzherbert, his clandestine wife
Art and scienceJohn Loudon McAdam presents his new road surfacing technique to Parliament.Jane Austen publishes Sense and Sensibility.Sculptor Francis Leggatt Chantrey exhibits at the Royal Academy for the first time with a celebrated bust of the radical John Horne Tooke.
InternationalBattle of Albuera; British invade French-held Badajoz in Spain under William Carr Beresford and are victorious over Marshal Soult. Java captured.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Collected Archives - N-S
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30