5 of 15 portraits of James Cook
by James Basire, published by William Strahan, and published by Thomas Cadell the Elder, after William Hodges
line engraving, published 1 February 1777
12 1/2 in. x 9 3/4 in. (316 mm x 248 mm) plate size; 13 1/2 in. x 10 3/4 in. (342 mm x 272 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- James Basire (1730-1802), Engraver. Artist associated with 85 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thomas Cadell the Elder (1742-1802), Publisher and bookseller. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- William Hodges (1744-1797), Painter. Artist associated with 5 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- William Strahan (1715-1785), Printer and publisher. Artist associated with 3 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (New Street, Shoe Lane, London; Strand, London)