6 of 7 portraits of Thomas Young
by Charles Turner, published by Colnaghi, Son & Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 6 April 1830
15 3/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (389 mm x 294 mm) plate size; 17 1/2 in. x 13 1/2 in. (445 mm x 343 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Young (1773-1829), Physician, physicist and Egyptologist. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Colnaghi, Son & Co (active 1826-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 72 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 618 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
27 August, 12:30
- Lecture Wellington: The Man
14 September, 19:00