6 of 7 portraits of Thomas Young
by Charles Turner, published by Colnaghi, Son & Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 6 April 1830
15 3/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (389 mm x 294 mm) plate size; 17 1/2 in. x 13 1/2 in. (445 mm x 343 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Young (1773-1829), Physician, physicist and Egyptologist. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Colnaghi, Son & Co (active 1826-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 72 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 618 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z