6 of 7 portraits of Thomas Young
by Charles Turner, published by Colnaghi, Son & Co, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 6 April 1830
15 3/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (389 mm x 294 mm) plate size; 17 1/2 in. x 13 1/2 in. (445 mm x 343 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Young (1773-1829), Physician, physicist and Egyptologist. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Colnaghi, Son & Co (active 1826-1835), Publishers. Artist associated with 72 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 683 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Charles Turner (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 617 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Portrait of the Day: Princess Caroline and the trial of the century
28 October, 12:00