Sidney Godolphin, 1st Earl of Godolphin
by Jacobus Houbraken, published by John & Paul Knapton, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, circa 1746 (circa 1704-1710)
14 1/2 in. x 9 1/4 in. (368 mm x 236 mm) plate size; 17 5/8 in. x 13 3/4 in. (448 mm x 348 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
- Jacobus Houbraken (1698-1780), Engraver. Artist associated with 435 portraits.
- John & Paul Knapton (active 1735-1789), Booksellers and publishers. Artist associated with 290 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1680 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- NPG D34582: Sidney Godolphin, 1st Earl of Godolphin (from same plate)
- NPG 5719: Sidney Godolphin, 1st Earl of Godolphin (after)
- NPG D42879: Sidney Godolphin, 1st Earl of Godolphin (from same plate)
- NPG D31388: Sidney Godolphin, 1st Earl of Godolphin (from same plate)
Jacobites are defeated by the Duke of Cumberland and his forces at the Battle of Culloden; the last battle to take place on British soil. Bonnie Prince Charlie escapes to France with the help of Flora MacDonald. His supporters the Earl of Kilmarnock and Lord Balmeniro are beheaded. Dress Act bans Tartan and Highland dress.
Art and science
Scottish physician William Hunter begins his public lectures on anatomy.Italian artist Giovanni Antonio Canal, better known as Canaletto, arrives in England, where he remains until 1755. Quaker Minister and pharmacist William Cookworthy discovers kaolin or china clay in Cornwall and devises a way of making porcelain, which was previously imported from China.
War of the Austrian Succession: French forces led by Joseph François Dupleix capture the British East India Company's fort at Madras. One of its defenders, Robert Clive, makes his name by escaping his French captors. Frederick II of Prussia begins building his summer palace of Sans Souci at Potsdam. His three victories in 1745 cause him to be known as Frederick the Great.Philip V of Spain dies and is succeeded by Ferdinand VI.