© National Portrait Gallery, London
by George Vertue, after Hans Holbein the Younger Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, 1737
14 3/8 in. x 9 1/8 in. (366 mm x 233 mm) paper size
Given by Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, 1st Bt, 1916
- William Warham (1450?-1532), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543). Artist associated with 314 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
- George Vertue (1683-1756), Engraver and antiquary. Artist associated with 849 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
- NPG D37496: William Warham (based on same portrait)
- NPG D37497: William Warham (based on same portrait)
- NPG 2094: William Warham (based on same portrait)
- NPG D24267: William Warham (based on same portrait)
Death of Queen Caroline, wife of George II, on 20 November.Frederick, Prince of Wales quarrels with his father. The king expels him from court for criticising the government.Theatrical Licensing Act introduces censorship, requiring plays to be submitted to the Lord Chancellor for approval and reducing the number of theatres.
Art and science
French portrait-painter Jean-Baptiste Van Loo arrives in England where he soon attracts prominent sitters such as Robert Walpole, Colley Cibber and William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield. Venus passes in front of Mercury and is witnessed by amateur astronomer John Bevis at the Royal Greenwich Observatory. It remains the only such planetary occlusion that has been directly observed.
Colonist William Byrd founds Richmond, Virginia. French Académie Royale de Peintre et de Sculpture begins its programme of public exhibitions.Florence loses her independence when the last Medici Grand Duke of Tuscany dies.