Victors of the Nile
1 portrait of Sir Charles Thompson, Bt
Victors of the Nile
by William Bromley, and by John George Landseer, and by William Satchwell Leney (Lenney), published by Robert Bowyer, after Robert Smirke
line engraving, published 1803
30 7/8 in. x 21 in. (785 mm x 534 mm) plate size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Robert Bowyer (1758-1834), Miniature painter and publisher. Artist associated with 46 portraits.
- William Bromley (1769-1842), Engraver. Artist associated with 39 portraits.
- John George Landseer (1761 or 1769-1852), Engraver and antiquary; father of Sir Edwin Landseer. Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Satchwell Leney (Lenney) (1769-1831), Engraver. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
- Robert Smirke (1753-1845), Painter and illustrator. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Sir Edward Berry, Bt (1768-1831), Rear-Admiral. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Benjamin Hallowell Carew (1760-1834), Admiral. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Henry D'Esterre Darby (1750-1823), Admiral. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- James Saumarez, 1st Baron de Saumarez (1757-1836), Admiral. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Foley (1757-1833), Admiral. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Samuel Hood, 1st Bt (1762-1814), Admiral. Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Louis, 1st Bt (1759-1807), Rear-Admiral. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Ralph Willett Miller (1762-1799), Naval captain. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Horatio Nelson, Viscount Nelson (1758-1805), Vice-Admiral and victor of Trafalgar. Sitter in 85 portraits.
- Sir John Strutt Peyton (1786-1838), Captain in the Navy. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Charles Thompson, Bt (1740?-1799), Vice-Admiral. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Troubridge, 1st Bt (1758?-1807), Rear-Admiral. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- George Blagdon Westcott (1745?-1798), Captain in the navy. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Viscount Nelson
- Plaster figure makers: a short history
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Horatio Nelson <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - installation video
- My Favourite Portrait by Alan Titchmarsh
- Portrait of the Day: Horatio Nelson
28 July, 12:30