© National Portrait Gallery, London
John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst
by Richard James Lane, after Alfred Edward Chalon Click on the links below to find out more
lithograph, published 1836
17 7/8 in. x 12 5/8 in. (453 mm x 320 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
- Alfred Edward Chalon (1780-1860), Portrait and subject painter. Artist associated with 179 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1205 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- NPG D21999: John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (from same stone)
- NPG D22252: John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (from same stone)
- NPG D38036: John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (from same stone)
William Lovett founds the Working Men's Association, the precursor to Chartism, with the aim to achieving equal social and political rights between men of all classes. A reduction in stamp duty from 4d to 1d helps to keep unstamped newspapers off the street, and leads to wider circulation of legal newspapers. The first railway line is built in London, connecting to Greenwich and operated by the London Greenwich Railway (LGR).
Art and science
The American poet and writer Ralph Waldo Emerson outlines his theory of transcendentalism in Nature
, in which he argues for individualism above traditional authority, stressing the infinitude of the private self and the possibility of achieving an original relation to the universe. The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer publishes On the Will in Nature
, a precursor to his famous The World as Will and Representation
Texas declares its independence from Mexico following a series of battles, including those at the Alamo and Goliad. Sam Houston is the first president of Texas, serving both in 1836-38 and 1841-44. The city of Adelaide is founded in Australia, at the mouth of the Torrens river, named in honour of Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV.