© Mike Owen / National Portrait Gallery, London
Duran Duran (John Taylor; Nick Rhodes; Andy Taylor; Roger Taylor; Simon Le Bon)
by Mike Owen Click on the links below to find out more
cibachrome print from original transparency, 1984
14 in. x 14 in. (357 mm x 356 mm)
- Simon Le Bon (1958-), Musician, singer and songwriter for 'Duran Duran'. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Nick Rhodes (Nicholas James Bates) (1962-), Musician; keyboardist for Duran Duran. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Andy Taylor (1961-), Musician; bass guitarist for Duran Duran. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- John Taylor (1960-), Musician; bass guitarist for Duran Duran. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Roger Taylor (1960-), Musician; drummer for Duran Duran. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Mike Owen (1954-), Photographer. Artist of 32 portraits.
The Provisional IRA bomb the Grand Hotel in Brighton where various politicians, including the Prime Minister, where staying for the annual Conservative Party conference. The bomb killed five people including a conservative MP, but no members of the cabinet. Thatcher began the next session of the conference the following morning at 9.30 as planned saying: 'all attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail.'
Art and science
Dr Alec Jeffreys discovers that patterns in an individual's DNA can be identified and that each person has a unique 'genetic fingerprint'. The technique was soon utilised by forensic scientists to help in criminal investigations, and in order to identify human remains, for paternity testing, and to match organ donors.Ted Hughes is appointed poet Laureate.
Ethiopia suffers severe drought and famine. The Ethiopian government responded by uprooting large numbers of peasants in the worst affected areas and by setting up new villages for the displaced people. However, the planned villages were frequently poorly equipped and many people chose to flee rather than acquiesce with government plans leading to further decline in food production and bringing the total death toll to over 1 million.