5 of 5 portraits of Jeremy Irons
by Alistair Morrison
bromide print, May 1987
17 7/8 in. x 18 1/8 in. (453 mm x 460 mm)
Given by Alistair Morrison, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Graham Crowden (1922-2010), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Albert Finney (1936-), Stage and film actor and film director. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Jeremy Irons (1948-), Actor. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Ben Kingsley (né Krishna Bhanji) (1943-), Actor. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir Antony Sher (1949-), Actor and writer. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Alistair Morrison (1957-), Photographer. Artist associated with 82 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1987back to top
Current affairsHurricane-force winds batter southern England, blowing-down trees, and damaging buildings, blocking roads and causing 19 deaths. The storm was not predicted by the Met Office, a fact that is often jeeringly referred to by quoting Michael Fish's response to a report that 'there was a hurricane on the way…don't worry… there isn't' (the report was actually referring to Florida, not the UK).
Art and scienceAlan Bennett's series of monologues Talking Heads is aired by the BBC. The series featured a set of characters that show the secret lives of the English: their dreams, frustrations, and fantasies. The impressive cast included Dame Thora Hird, Patricia Routledge, Maggie Smith, Julie Walters and Bennett himself.
InternationalThe second largest ever one-day percentage decline in the stock market is named Black Monday. The Dow Jones index in the USA dropped dramatically followed by similar drops around the world. It is still unclear what exactly caused the crash, although worldwide panic selling certainly made it escalate.
Terry Waite is taken hostage while trying to negotiate the release of four men held by the Islamic Jihad in Beirut.