Queen Mary I
16 of 49 portraits of Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1630
4 3/8 in. x 3 1/4 in. (110 mm x 84 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1630back to top
Current affairsCharles I's first surviving child, Charles, is born in St. James's Palace. He is baptised by the Anglican Bishop of London, William Laud, and brought up in the care of the Protestant Mary Curzon, Countess of Dorset.
Art and scienceThe Cottonian Library, containing the greatest resource of Old English and Middle English literature, founded by antiquary and anti-royalist, Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, is confiscated by the authorities.
InternationalPhilip IV of Spain and Charles I sign the Treaty of Madrid, ending hostilities between the two countries. Spanish diplomat, Cesare Alessandro Scaglia, assists with the conclusion of the peace deal. German, Protestant land is regained from Catholic allies on account of Swedish intervention in the Thirty Years' War.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Mary I Cushion
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Mary I greetings card
- Queen Mary I by MasterJohn Postcards