Queen Mary I
12 of 49 portraits of Queen Mary I
Queen Mary I
after Unknown artist
woodcut, after 1558
4 7/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (124 mm x 94 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
Events of 1558back to top
Current affairsDeath of Queen Mary I; she is succeeded by her Protestant half-sister Elizabeth.Sir William Cecil is appointed Secretary of State; he will remain Queen Elizabeth I's chief minister until his death in 1598.The French capture Calais, England's last holding in continental Europe. Large-scale famine and an influenza epidemic spreads across England.
Art and scienceThe Scottish Protestant reformer John Knox publishes The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women, a controversial attack on female rule with the aim of inciting rebellion against Queen Mary I.
InternationalMary Queen of Scots marries the French Dauphin (later Francis II of France).Archduke Ferdinand of Austria is formally elected Holy Roman Emperor. Akbar, Mughal Emperor of India, conquers Gwalior, Ajmer and Jaunpur in north India.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Mary I Cushion
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Mary I greetings card
- Queen Mary I by MasterJohn Postcards