© National Portrait Gallery, London
Charles Kemble as Cassio in 'Othello'
by Richard James Lane, printed by Jérémie Graf, published by John Mitchell, after Alfred Edward Chalon Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured lithograph, published 1 December 1838
13 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (348 mm x 246 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
- Charles Kemble (1775-1854), Actor, theatre manager and playwright. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Alfred Edward Chalon (1780-1860), Portrait and subject painter. Artist associated with 179 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Jérémie Graf (active 1837-1842), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 110 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1178 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Mitchell (active 1832-died 1889), Publisher. Artist associated with 179 portraits.
- NPG D22333: Charles Kemble as Cassio in 'Othello' (from same plate)
The Anti-Corn Law league is established in Manchester, led by Richard Cobden and John Bright, aiming to create a fully free-trade economy. The People's Charter is published, demanding many constitutional amendments that would become central to future democratic reform, including universal male suffrage and secret ballots. Despite having one million signatures (and 5 million by 1848), the petition was rejected.Slavery is completely abolished.
Art and science
Turner's The Fighting Temeraire
is exhibited at the Royal Academy. The Temeraire, which had broken the line at the Battle of Trafalgar, was a reflection on the rapid changes of the industrial age. This was demonstrated this year when Isambard Brunel's Great Western crosses the Atlantic, in just fifteen days - a ship under sail could take a month. The London-Birmingham railway is also completed, the line engineered by Robert Stephenson.
The first stage in the formation of independent Boer republics in South Africa, as the Republic of Natal is formed in South Africa, following the Boers defeat of the Matabele of Mzilikasi. This comes two years after the Dutch-speaking inhabitants of the British-ruled colony of South Africa set out on the Great Trek, in search of their own independent state.The Central American Federation, an experimental republic formed of several Latin states splits.