© National Portrait Gallery, London
Charlotte Elizabeth Vandenhoff as Juliet in 'Romeo and Juliet'
by Richard James Lane, printed by M & N Hanhart, published by John Mitchell Click on the links below to find out more
hand-coloured lithograph, published circa 1838-1839
13 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (348 mm x 246 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
- M & N Hanhart (active 1839-1882), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 322 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1168 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Mitchell (active 1832-died 1889), Publisher. Artist associated with 176 portraits.
- NPG D4566: Charlotte Elizabeth Vandenhoff as Juliet in 'Romeo and Juliet' (from same plate)
- NPG D22159: Charlotte Elizabeth Vandenhoff as Juliet in 'Romeo and Juliet' (from same plate)
The Anti-Corn Law league is established in Manchester, led by Richard Cobden and John Bright, aiming to create a fully free-trade economy. The People's Charter is published, demanding many constitutional amendments that would become central to future democratic reform, including universal male suffrage and secret ballots. Despite having one million signatures (and 5 million by 1848), the petition was rejected.Slavery is completely abolished.
Art and science
Turner's The Fighting Temeraire
is exhibited at the Royal Academy. The Temeraire, which had broken the line at the Battle of Trafalgar, was a reflection on the rapid changes of the industrial age. This was demonstrated this year when Isambard Brunel's Great Western crosses the Atlantic, in just fifteen days - a ship under sail could take a month. The London-Birmingham railway is also completed, the line engineered by Robert Stephenson.
The first stage in the formation of independent Boer republics in South Africa, as the Republic of Natal is formed in South Africa, following the Boers defeat of the Matabele of Mzilikasi. This comes two years after the Dutch-speaking inhabitants of the British-ruled colony of South Africa set out on the Great Trek, in search of their own independent state.The Central American Federation, an experimental republic formed of several Latin states splits.