1 portrait of Mahatma Gandhi
by Elliott & Fry
half-plate glass copy negative, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Mohandas Karamchand ('Mahatma') Gandhi (1869-1948), Indian political leader and religious and social reformer. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1931back to top
Current affairsSailors at the Invergordon navel base mutiny in response to pay cuts. The cuts of up to 25% were part of the government's attempt to deal with the Great Depression by reducing public spending. Sailors protested by holding meetings and refusing orders.Dr Harold Moody founds the League of Coloured Peoples, lobbying for equal rights for black people in Britain and for international civil rights.
Art and scienceThe modern tube map is introduced. Harry Beck's design was unique in following the properties of a circuit diagram rather than the geographical location of the stations.The Vic-Wells Ballet company is founded by Dame Ninette de Valois and housed by Lilian Baylis at Sadler's Wells Theatre. It was granted a Royal Charter in 1957 and became the Royal Ballet.
InternationalThe Second Spanish Republic is established. Following an election dominated by the Republicans, King Alfonso XIII abdicated and a new constitution was drawn up.The Statute of Westminster grants legislative equality to the self-governing Dominions of the British Empire. The Statue decreed that the British Government could no longer make ordinary law for the dominions unless it was at their request and with their consent.
Exhibitions and displays
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Black Chronicles: Photographic Portraits 1862 – 1948
Until 11 December
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- The World's Most Photographed
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole