1 portrait of Charles Kemble
by Richard James Lane, printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel, published by Joseph Dickinson, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
lithograph, May 1830 (1805)
21 1/4 in. x 14 1/8 in. (540 mm x 360 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charles Kemble (1775-1854), Actor, theatre manager and playwright. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 82 portraits.
- Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789-1850), Lithographic draughtsman and printer. Artist associated with 106 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1224 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
27 August, 12:30
- Lecture Wellington: The Man
14 September, 19:00