10 of 24 portraits of Fanny Kemble
by Richard James Lane, printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel, published by Joseph Dickinson, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
lithograph, published 1829-1830
21 1/4 in. x 14 3/8 in. (540 mm x 365 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Frances Anne ('Fanny') Kemble (1809-1893), Actress and author. Sitter in 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Dickinson (1780-1849), Stationer and lithographic publisher. Artist associated with 82 portraits.
- Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789-1850), Lithographic draughtsman and printer. Artist associated with 106 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1224 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D22010: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22242: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D22401: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36820: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36821: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36822: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36823: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36824: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
- NPG D36825: Fanny Kemble (from same plate)
Events of 1829back to top
Current affairsMetropolitan police force of over three thousand paid, uniformed, professional policemen founded by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel.
Roman Catholic Relief Act grants emancipation; Catholics admitted to vote, sit in parliament and hold almost all public offices.
Art and scienceSuccess of George Stephenson's Rocket steam engine at Rainhill Trials.
First London bus service licensed; the new 'box-on-wheels' contributes greatly to the expansion of the suburbs.
Apsley House completed for the Duke of Wellington by Benjamin Wyatt.
First Oxford and Cambridge boat race.
InternationalAndrew Jackson is elected President of the United States.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Off the Beaten Track - Three Centuries of Women Travellers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Portrait of the Day: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
27 August, 12:30
- Lecture Wellington: The Man
14 September, 19:00